Without wheels it can be difficult to explore a city like Johannesburg. With so much to do and see you’ll find yourself on the sidelines of the city’s buzz and attractions. If you’re flying to the city, your best option for transport is airport car hire. Johannesburg is a large city to get around; you’ll need your own wheels.
With your own vehicle to get you around, you’ll be able to discover the best of the city. Here is our list of interesting things to see when visiting Johannesburg.
1. The Cradle of Humankind lies half an hour out of the city and is the site of the oldest human bones that have been found - providing evidence that humans originated from Africa. This is an incredibly interesting place to visit, and will allows guests to get a sneak peak of the natural bushveld and landscape of Gauteng. Use your car rental from O R Tambo to get you there...
2. The Apartheid Museum. Johannesburg was the centre of many past hardships which took place during the Apartheid. Take a drive to this museum to discover just what the Apartheid involved and to see how far the country has come since the end of the political regime.
3. The Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens are amongst the most beautiful gardens in South Africa and are an absolute must visit for every tourist and guest visiting Johannesburg. Car Hire will take you to the gardens; allowing you to escape from the bustling city attractions for a stroll and cup of tea.
4. Gold Reef City; if you’re travelling with the little ones this is an absolute must on the agenda. Spend a day in beautiful Johannesburg weather enjoying water rides and adrenaline rushes on some of Africa’s largest rollercoasters and theme park rides. This is the place to let your hair down and enjoy a day out in Johannesburg; there are also restaurants, a theatre and shops here!
5. The Joburg Zoo is another great place for a family outing in Joburg. Use your airport car rental to get your family here safely and enjoy strolling past the different enclosures and learning about animals from all over the world.
6. If you’re looking for a bit of peace and quiet, the Monte Casino Bird Gardens offers guests the chance to get away from the sounds of the busy city. These gardens are truly idyllic and showcase some of South Africa’s and the world’s most beautiful and vibrant birds. This is also a lovely place for a stroll and to stop by for tea.
7. Your OR Tambo Airport car rental will come in handy when venturing to hot spots just out of Johannesburg. Car rental will allow you to drive an hour out of the city to visit the Hartebeesport Dam. This is one of South Africa’s largest man made Dams and is a truly beautiful place and getaway. Spend a couple of days here enjoying the peace and quiet that is on offer.
8. There are many five star game reserves surrounding Johannesburg which can be reached after a couple of hours dive. Many tourists choose to fly to Johannesburg and drive themselves to the game reserves whilst utilising airport car hire. Johannesburg is also five hours away from the world famous Kruger National Park - South Africa’s largest game reserve and a truly remarkable destination for any tourist.
9. You simply cannot go to Johannesburg and not visit Sandton. This suburb showcases the glamorous side of the City of Gold and is the latest place to be seen shopping, eating and socializing. There is also room for business and fashion however; at the very least one should drive through Sandton to see what the fuss is all about.
10. Soweto is South Africa’s largest and most famous township, and is home to some of the country’s loudest past and present political voices. This township has a vibrancy about it that cannot be found anywhere else in the world and offers guests the opportunity to explore the lifestyle of so many South Africans. Tourist friendly restaurants, township tours and curio shops have been established to welcome guests in this important part of South Africa.
Visiting Johannesburg is an absolute must for every tourist as this city is the true heart beat of South Africa and boasts the vibrancy, warmth and excitement that is unique to a busy African city. As public transport isn’t too reliable, you’ll need to make use of airport car hire. Johannesburg is a city of lights and attractions; follow our list of things to do and you’ll have the holiday of a lifetime.